The Evolution of Professional Wrestling

I chose to do my project on the impact of new media on the professional wrestling industry. New media has changed the way people watch wrestling and also the reason why we watch it. In the '90s, every teenager watched wrestling on their television sets and now its been replaced by the likes of Youtube, Reddit & streaming platforms. At the same time, everyone knows that wrestling is scripted but viewers are still on the edge of their seat as if its real. This is because of the way the product is put out on various new media platforms and it's also allowed new forms of competition to arise. In my research paper, I will discuss how the industry has changed over time with the addition of various new medias and how in the year 2019, new media plays a huge part in every aspect of the business. Some things I will touch upon include how television allowed for companies like WWE to reach a larger fan base in the late '90s and how social media platforms today allow viewers to become more involved in the direction of storylines and outcomes of certain events.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The topic you pick is very interesting because I remember that every kid in my middle school watching wrestling. At that young of an age, we didn't know that it was scripted and thought that everything they did was real. I hope to learn more about how the industry has changed because I haven't kept up with the scene since then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to reading the research and discoveries you make on the WWE. This is an interesting topic to me because it is similar to how other sports industry has changed due to the impact of media. An interesting part of your research will be how social media has impacted the industry, it gave more people instant access to these events in real time. Applications like Instagram allow these professional fighters to show the audience more of their life and promote their fights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wrestling was a big part of my entertainment life in middle school. I was young and was unaware that wrestling is scripted and the wrestlers aren't really out to "kill" each other. To me, wrestling's popularity has been on the decline since middle school. I'm not sure if my views are attributed to the lack of conversations on wrestling or if the industry is in fact, declining in popularity. It's always good to have a bit of nostalgia in our lives by revisiting the days of less responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your topic intrigues me a lot because social media has been the only reason I even know a tad bit about wrestling. Seeing pictures and tweets being posted helps me feel like I am in the loop and know what's going on. I had no idea wrestling was scripted but learning this from your post was very informative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creativity and New Media

Blog: Privacy

Blog: Next New